- Kale is one of the most nutrient-rich vegetables. It has extremely high levels of vitamin K (about 1,000% of DV) and also lots of vitamin A (almost 100%), vitamin C and fiber.
- Kale has an impressive amount of antioxidants, particularly, lutein, quercetin, and glucosinolates. Research has shown that these antioxidants (and the nutrients listed above) temper inflammation, keep the eyes healthy, and decrease the risk of many types of cancer, among other things.
Tips & Tricks
Chopped Italian Kale Salad
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Tomato-free, Low-carb, Keto, Paleo
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3 cups lacinato kale chopped
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 2 small cans sliced black olives drained
- About 2.5 oz 8 slices pepperoni, chopped
- About 2.5 oz 8 slices salami, chopped
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 Tbsp minced shallots optional, but so good!
- ½ cup Creamy Italian Dressing
Creamy Italian Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (see my Costco Pantry Items post for purchasing recommendations)
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- Chop the lettuce, kale, cucumber, and bell pepper and place in a large bowl. Add the pepperoni, salami, black olives and shallots. Top with the Creamy Italian Dressing and toss.
Top with pine nuts and serve for a picnic, summer meal or gathering with friends.
Disclosure: this post includes affiliate links for convenience. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.